In September we posted an article titled “A new scam taking place”. It highlighted that companies were phoning PV system owners to sell products and services to stop their system catching on fire. We wanted to make sure that our customers knew this was incorrect.
Since then, companies have become more imaginative and have created other stories and scenarios to get you to buy their “service or product”. Examples of this are inefficient inverters, inverter health checks, panel failure and potentially many more. We at RenEnergy do not want you to pay out money to these companies to not receive the service you pay for and do not need.
We have put together some tips to spot if the company is fraudulent:
- Has the company contacted you? Always think why and how a company has your details? We never hand out customer details out to third parties so if a company says that they have received your details from us then always be suspicious.
- How does the company know about your system? If they are talking about an inverter issue how do they know what your inverter is reading? Often they are placed in a loft or out of sight place and would only be read remotely by yourself or your installer.
- Do you recognise the company name? Ask for their name and details and do a Google search. Often the companies we have seen are registered with the government’s Company House data base, but there is no website and the details are very vague. Any scam reporting may be highlighted too.
- Have the Energy Savings Trust heard of the company? If you are still unsure call them and see if they recognise the company. They will often give a number of a local reputable company you can call.
- What do the installers of your system say? Always phone the installers of your system, or they are no longer operating you can call us, to ask if we can give anymore information. With years of experience we will know if the enquiry is correct or if we think it is a scam.
Always stay aware and don’t agree to pay for any product or service that you are unsure about. It never hurts to get a second opinion even if it is genuine.
If you are unsure and would like to talk to us we can be contacted on 01603 713448 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lastly, if you still want your system to be checked over give us a call and we can give you more information, and whilst we are out there explain how your system works.